Dr. Ryan
Dr. Ryan, Doctor
Experience:  Bachelor in Nursing, 3+ years nursing experience, Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine

I have an unexplained dark purple bruise on my right ring finger

I have an unexplained dark purple bruise on my right ring finger that came up out of nowhere. The bruise runs from the base of the finger past the knuckle on the inside of the finger. The entire finger is aching. I also have some aching up the top of my arm. I did carry a lot of groceries today, but nothing out of the ordinary. I can't imagine how I could have gotten such a dark bruise. I am a worry wart and of course now think it's a blood clot or something horrible. Now that I think about it, I have been dizzy a few times in the past week but only at night while on the computer so I figured it was from staring at the screen for so long. Could an unexplained bruise be a sign of something serious?

Hello, and sorry to hear about your bruise, I can understand how this would seem odd if you didn't remember doing anything.

Based on your description, my best bet is that it's simply a broken blood vessel, that you did incidentally, possibly while you were carrying groceries. These can happen when you hit something just wrong or strain something, and the blood leaks out and you've got a bruise. These are actually fairly common in the finger, and they'll cause the aching like you describe. The good news is that they'll go away on their own, and they aren't a sign of anything more serious.

So I'd give a couple more days, take some ibuprofen, or through some ice on it if you think it would help, and you should be good. As far as the dizziness, this is fairly common too while staring at a computer screen, so make sure you take some breaks while your working on the computer, and don't worry about that either.

I wish you the best of luck, and please reply if you have further questions. Best wishes...

Please ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the accept button

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are greatly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an assessment by your doctor, and does not establish a patient-physician relationship