Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

My stomach feels like its burning, it comes and goes and I

Customer Question

My stomach feels like its burning, it comes and goes and I can hear gas inside my stomach it makes noise, I also am farting quite a lot. I suffer from constipation quite regularly so I avoid certain foods
What do I have? is it heart burn?

its worst when I went to sleep last night. I could feel the upper part of my stomach literally on fire
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 5 years ago.

Hello

Have you been checked for H. Pylori? (the bacteria responsible for the formation of gastric ulcers) If you have not, I would highly recommend it. It can cause symptoms very similar to what you have described. It is usually tested via blood or breath test. Also, the burning could be a combination of acid reflux and H. Pylori. I would highly recommend getting tested for the H. Pylori and if it is negative, getting something for the burning such as Zantac, Prilosec, or Pepcid. Your Dr might also want to do a procedure to visualize the stomach to see what is going on (called Endoscopy).

You can click here to read more about H. Pylori. If H. Pylori is found, your Dr will put you on a combination type drug that will help erradicate the bacteria, while protecting the stomach lining, and decreasing the acid....often prescribed is the PrevPak.

Hope this helps!

********************

Your $$$ that you have put down as a deposit will not go to me unless you click ACCEPT. JustAnswer.com will hold your deposit and it will not be released to me for my efforts and time. So please remember that if my answer has provided some insight or information, please click ACCEPT so that I can continue to help others. Let me know if more clarification is needed.

Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so ok
but if this just started two days ago,
and the last time i had experienced this was 2 years ago.
you reccommend for me to take this.

so its unrelated to my bowling activities?
i just hear the noise so you are positive this could be it?

Yes, especially since it is reoccuring.

Activities that require you to bend over (like bowling) could cause the acid feeling to worsen but you would most likely notice it when you are bowling....at that particular moment. The sphincter that prevents acid from coming back up into your esphagus does not work correctly (to keep the acid in the stomach) and when you bend over it allows the contents from the stomach to come up and thus you would feel the burning sensation.

I cannot be 100% sure if you have H. Pylori or just acid reflux or just excess gas from the foods you are eating because I cannot see you or run any test on you....but from what you are describing there is definitely something going on as such. And like I said, since it is reoccuring, I would be tested.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the thing is that I do not feel the burning sensation come up to my esophagus, its just there in my stomach or in the form of gas around my body I guess.
I am under much stress this last few days and when I get nervous (for instance last night due to the sensation) I notice it gets worst.
what over the counter medication would you recommend
I understand your recommendation to get tested but its not possible at the moment for me.
what did happen was that yesterday I ate a lot and that is when I felt my stomach full but kept on eating and then I lied down. When I woke up taht is when I noticed the burning sensation. I am really hoping it was this.

Ok, for the burning, you could take something like Pepcid AC or Maalox and see if that helps. It could have been the overeating and the laying down afterwards...that usually is never a good combination. I understand that going to the Dr might not be an option for you right now, but if this continues to happen, you might really want to consider it.

I also wanted to add that staying away from known triggers for excess gas such as onions, cucumbers, beans, green peppers, cabbage, soft drinks (coca-cola), apples, bananas, prunes, melons, eggs, fried breads such as donuts, and pastries, artifical sweetners, and milk products.

Digestive enzymes have been shown to help reduce the gas that some people have. Beano is a commonly found product that contains a digestive enzyme that might help you. Other digestive enzymes can be found at your local pharmacy department such as those containing lactase.

You can always take some Gas X or Simethicone for the gas, as well.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
now with the list of foods you recommend I can see how I got worst. After that I had some fries adn then prunes to help with the constipation. and then at night I kept on drinking orange juice thinking it was constipation.

So then from fruits you reccoment nothign acidic but at the same time no apples?
breads yes but wehat I am guessin? and no milk products not even yoghurt?
Right now I finihshed eating but its weird since I do not know if I am still hungry or if its just the burning sensation messing with me.

Yogart in small amounts is ok. But excessive consumption of milk based products or milk in general will not only cause gas but can also give you acid reflux as well.

Apples and bananas cause excess gas. Excessive carbs such as bread can cause excess gas as well. Foods that cause acid reflux would include anything tomatoe based, anything acid based (such as orange juice), and things that are fried and spicey (in a nutshell).