Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
206912

I am taking 80 mg a day omeprazole for reflux. My blood pressure

I am taking 80 mg a day omeprazole for reflux. My blood pressure has gone up in the three months I have been taking it. Is the medication blocking the absorbtion of the Diovan which I take for HBP ? I have been on Diovan for years.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
There should be no interactions between these two medications.

The drug interaction checker says "No interactions identified with others in the selection list."

So -- your next step is to talk with your doctor about this issue, and show him your blood pressure diary to see what else could be causing your ris in blood pressure over the past three months. Certainly, a change in the reflux medication can be made (to see if it is indeed related to the omeprazole) to see if for some reason, you would be "sensitive" to the omeprazole itself -- and that the medication itself is the cause for your increased blood pressure (rare, but would be possible).

Of course, your doctor would want bloodwork as well, to ensure there isn't another reason for your recent increased blood pressure.