Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery

My wife is a type 1 Diabetic. For the last two hours she s

My wife is a type 1 Diabetic. For the last two hours she"s getting dizzy spells, close
to passing out. Happens when she trys to llay down or tilt her her head back. Started
taking antibiotics foe a gum infection three days ago,

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
Well, certainly you want to check her blood sugar, to ensure that it is not too low.

And if you have the capability -- to check her blood pressure, to ensure it is not low.

Two common conditions that can cause dizziness and lightheadedness are low blood sugars and blood pressure.

If these are normal, she should be seen by her doctor. Some antibiotics can cause problems with the inner ear and a room spinning kind of sensation, but this should be discussed and evaluated by her doctor, as such dizzy spells and "close to passing out" could be a number of things, ranging from her heart to her brain, and would require evaluation in person by her doctor.