Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
206912

problem with a doctor (Neurosurgeon), or his staff..Mid-March

I am having a problem with a doctor (Neurosurgeon), or his staff, return my call with answers to some questions I have about a surgery procedure I am pursuing. I have had a consultation with the doctor (5 hours away) but had additional questions when I got home and reviewed the paperwork they gave me.
The consultation was in Mid-March, it is now June 1st and I don't know what to do at this point to get these questions answered. I am being told by the office staff to just wait for him to call because they got a little behind. Any suggestions?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately, a neurosurgeon is often very busy dealing with patients in the hospital, surgeries, emergency surgeries, and often has to drive from hospital to hospital to see patients.

So please understand if he can't get back in touch with you right away.

If you have simple questions, other people, like his office staff, or perhaps us here can answer them. However, if you still have detailed questions, the best way to get time is probably to see him in the clinic, on his clinic day (which I know is tough when he is 5 hours away).

But perhaps calling his clinic on his clinic day (when you know he will be in the clinic) and catching him during his lunch break may be the best way to talk with him.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This doctor is only affliated with this one clinic (he is the President) so he does not go from hospital to hospital.

If I expected him to get back to me right away, I would have expected him to call when the appt was set up with him to call me on May 7th. It is almost a month since then (I don't think it is unreasonable to have expected him to call during this time).

I have called and cannot get past the office staff to talk to him, on his "clinic day" or otherwise. They are getting aggravated when I do call, it is obvious in their tones and by the way they tell me to continue waiting.

I am disabled and do not drive. It is very difficult for me to find a ride to his clinic since it is 5 hours away. I see other doctors also on a regular basis in which I need to find rides.
**Any other suggestions?
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately, I don't know what else you can do -- as you seem to be getting bad service from your surgeon here.

The only thing I would do, if you aren't happy -- is to find another neurosurgeon for surgery. If you can't get in touch with him now, imagine how difficult it could be after surgery (when you may be having an issue with a post-operative complication!).

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry to continue to bother you but I feel that I must tell you that the surgery I am looking into is a surgery that is not done by any other neurosurgeon in the country but him.
It is called Caudilaus DREZ (dorsal root entry zone). This is a 'last ditch' effort to try to help my chronic pain which was caused by Trigeminal Neuralgia surgery complications.

The pain medicines I take are no longer having any affect, and I have tried every other pain treatment, including having a Motor Cortex Stimulator implanted.
I only assume you may know a little of what I am speaking about because I see you are a doctor in Neurosurgery. I agree and worry that due to the lack of response I am receiving now, what would happen during surgery or if I had a complication.
So you see what a dilema I am in.
Currently I do nothing but lay in bed most of the time due to the severity of my pain. It affects all areas of the right side of my face.
I wanted to explain this to you, but I don't expect that you have an answer - because I don't think there is one. Its just extremely frustrating because I can't go anywhere else and he knows it. Thank you so much for your time. If you just send your name back I will 'accept' so that the money will be paid.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
Well, that certainly is a tough situation, when the neurosurgeon is the only one that can actually perform the surgery.

And you are correct, I don't have an answer for this -- but hopefully he will be able to make some time to answer your questions. The DREZ lesioning is that "last-ditch" effort which many neurosurgeons shy away from, or would not rather do, as it requires a specialized interest and skill to do the procedure.

Best of luck to you.

(Unfortunately, due to the terms of the website here, and my actual employer, I can't give my full name out to anyone -- sorry.)
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience: U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery