Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
206912

2 neurologists so far neither..muscle weakness in my arms and hands

I have a medical condition. I've been to 2 neurologists so far neither of them know what's wrong with me. I have muscle weakness in my arms and hands. Can't walk without a walker now. I'm dizzy all the time. Double vision sometimes hard to see in the distance. Balance is really bad. I've had all tests that you can think of nthing has showed up. I've taken IVIG tratments haven;t scene no difference at all. I really need to know what's going on I've been dealing with this sence sept I'm really getting scared no one has ever scene this before help
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
It may be impossible to determine what is going on if you've been examined by two neurologists in person, and they haven't been able to figure it out.

But have you had:

MRIs of the brain and spinal cord?
CSF samples from a lumbar puncture?
EMG and nerve conduction tests?
Tests for myasthenia gravis?
A muscle biopsy?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I've had all the tests done but the myasethia gravis and muscle biopsy.I don't understand why they wouldn't be able to figure this ou. That just doesn't make any sense.

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
Well, unfortunately, many neurologic symptoms are very difficult to determine the cause, since the brain and spinal cord are still difficult to test -- and MRIs and other tests can often only tell us so much.

So your neurologists are hoping to find something abnormal which can be attributable to your symptoms.

Given your muscle weakness, one would have to think that the problem is either with the nerves that go to the muscles, or the muscles themselves. Perhaps you can ask your doctors what they think of evaluation of conditions like myasthenia gravis (which can cause weakness as it is a neuromuscular disorder) or other similar conditions.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well that might explain my muscle weakness but don't explain all my other symtoms. I've been off balance and dizzy for 6 months. It;'s hard just to go day to day like that. so basically you don't have a clue either. What about stem cell treatments?
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
Unfortunately, it seems your expectations are a bit too high for someone over the Internet.

Of course I "don't have a clue"...because I don't have access to a neurologic exam, or your MRIs or bloodwork. It simply is unreasonable to expect someone over the Internet, who is trying to provide some medical information to be able to make a diagnosis with five lines of information.

Stem cell treatments have no role in nearly any medical condition at this time, since the medical science has not been able to yet produce consistent, effective results with them. That is still years away.

Best of luck.

If you aren't happy with the answer, you have no obligation to "accept" it.