Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Hello, I am 37 years old. I have always had a regular period.

Customer Question

I am 37 years old. I have always had a regular period. Lasy October, I started spotting for 5 days 11 days before my perpod. I was concerned and did test and everything was normal. From that point on it never happed again. This month I got my period as nrtmal on the 21st, and it lasted for 6 days. This morning I woke up with little cramps and went to the bathroom ans it is back again!!!!??? I am wondering what is happening...please help.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 8 years ago.

Greetings.

What were the investigations (blood work and imaging) done?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I had blood work done back in October 2008 and everything came back normal. As well I had an Ultrasound done to determine any problems and that came back normal. I had a pap done as well, and that came back normal.

I am concerned though because I just finished my period last week and this morning there was blood again. Now it seems to have lightened up very much. I made add though that I am ovulating,. I feel fine but of course very scared.

There is nothing to be scared, especially when just in October all your investigations were normal. The commonest reasons for this bleeding is hormonal aberrations / abnormalities. The other reasons can be endocervical polyp, ovarian cyst, uterine polyp, endometrial hyperplasia or uterine fibroid. With you ultrasound being normal; these have far less chance to be the cause. Still a repeat of ultrasound or blood work may be done by your primary care physician.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you very much for your help. I feel much better now. You have always helped me with your medical advice.
You are welcome.

Good luck.

Dr. Arun