Doctor G.
Doctor G., Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Internal Medicine / Cardiology / Endocrine questions
12907602

on replacement hormone therapy for 5-6 years

I have been on replacement hormone therapy for 5-6 years. I've been reading more about the side effects. Have I been on long enough? Have I been on to long? Should I come off now? I will be 58 in august.
Category: Health
Expert:  Doctor G. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) has been a point of confusion not only among patients but doctors as well. The gold standard of controlling symptoms of menopause is still HRT.
Here is the one of the issues, estrogen (unopposed, meaning with the progesterone) can raise a womens incidence of uterine cancer, blot clots, abnormal mammograms, and even stroke. In combination medications that have both, estrogen and progestins, can have a benefit such as a decrease in the incidence of colerectal cancer, a decrease in osteoporosis, and even may have protective effects on the heart..
The recommendation is that if you have symptoms and are under 60 you should considers the therapy. There is a recent study that came out that says if you have lung cancer and are on HRT, you have a greater risk of dying from that lung cancer.

I would talk to your doctor, if you have no symptoms of menopause, you may want to consider stopping the therapy.

If you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask.

God Bless.

Have a blessed Monday.
I hope I’ve been able to shed a little light on this for you.
If you have further questions on this topic, please feel free to ask.
Please remember to press "Accept"

You should always consult with your physician for the proper diagnosis and treatment.
The above was for educational purposes only and does not confer a doctor-patient privilege or relationship.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just one more part to my question, I now am taking 0.625MG of Cenestin. Does this info help you with more feed back? And, what about the side effect of demintia and memory loss? Thank you.
Expert:  Doctor G. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you.
Cenestin is exactly what I was talking about when I said "unopposed estrogens". These guys are the ones that give you the problems. In a very select number of people should unopposed estrogen be used. The study done did show an increase of dementia taking estrogen alone, such as you are. However these women were >65 year old.
Doctor G., Doctor (MD)
Experience: Internal Medicine / Cardiology / Endocrine questions