Doctor G.
Doctor G., Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Internal Medicine / Cardiology / Endocrine questions
12907602

blood work..liver..heart..going to call my family doctor today to see

have hcv virsus since 1970--never no problems-just had blood test done and the results are   
ast      201    scale of 0-40
alt        110   scale of 0-55

am not a regular drinker by no means ( had one drink of champane 4 days before blood work) my liver doctor said their was a sgot/sgpt ratio that would suggest if someone had been drinking I do not want him to think I have been doing something that I havent--also my heart doctor took me off of zocor 20mg and I am going to call my family doctor today to see if the xanax er 1mg may be causing this increase also
question is: would my liver doctor think i have been drinking withe the above results and how long should i wait until i have another test done once i stopped the zocor
Category: Health
Expert:  Doctor G. replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for question.
We are taught in every step of our medical education that sgot/sgpt ratio > 2:1 indicates alcoholic liver disease. There is a complicated explanation for this. However, this is not ALWAYS the case and cannot be based upon a single test, especially if you have no symptoms. If you had jaundice, maybe a fever and pain and you took the test and the doctor said , well since you have Hep-C and your are taking a medication that can damage the liver, then in order to distinguish where the enzyme bump is coming from, then using the ration can help.
You should wait about 6 weeks and repeat the test.

If you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask.

God Bless.

Have a blessed Monday.
I hope I’ve been able to shed a little light on this for you.
If you have further questions on this topic, please feel free to ask.
Please remember to press "Accept"

You should always consult with your physician for the proper diagnosis and treatment.
The above was for educational purposes only and does not confer a doctor-patient privilege or relationship.