Lydia RN
Lydia RN, Nurse
Experience:  Experience in Orthopedic Rehab, Dialysis, CRRT, Apheresis and Psych. Certified: PALS, ACLS and BLS

left side of my stomach , just below my rib cage..prostatitis..Bactrim

Customer Question

Last Monday I started feeling a shooting pain on the left side of my stomach, just below my ribcage. It was a feeling I'd had before (I have chronic prostatitis) and believed it to be related to prostatitis. I went to Urgent Care and was put on Bactrim. After 4 days the pain had not gone away or gotten better. After waking up and going to work (Thurs/Fri) I had felt nauseous shortly after getting there both days. The pain also began on the right side. Fearing it could be something bad I went to the ER last night around 1:30 (sunday). They took a urine sample, drew blood, gave me a CT scan, and chest x-ray. They said everything came back negative. They didn't see kidney stones and said my appendix looked ok. They then referred me to a specialist. I plan on calling to set up an appt. shortly but I am looking for any kind of help online. I've had sinusitis since Feb. and been on a number of dif. antibiotics for that, don't know if that makes a difference.
Category: Health
Expert:  Lydia RN replied 7 years ago.
Perhaps the symptoms you were experiencing like nausea were from the antibiotic. Sometimes when you take an antibiotic without food it causes nausea.The infection may not be sensitive to the type of antibiotic prescribed so the symptoms could return if that were the case.