Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery

My wife had an epidural shot on 5/25/2009. and I can see no

My wife had an epidural shot on 5/25/2009. and I can see no benefit at this time, in fact every
time she moves from her chair, or the bed she is in severe pain in the left leg. Should she have
seen some benefit by now? She is scheduled for her second shot on 6/4/2009.

&n bsp;                                                  Ed
                                                &n bsp;                                                    Lady lake,Fl.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
In many people, it does take more than one shot to get relief.

The epidural steroids will basically diffuse out around where it is injected -- and help with inflammation of the nerves in the area.

It could be that the injection just was not close enough to the affected nerves, or that more of the medication is needed, or that the shots will be ineffective (generally after two or three injections that don't help -- you consider the steroids to be ineffective).

So, seeing how she does after the second injection is reasonable, but should these shots not help -- further evaluation with a MRI of the lumbar spine and evaluation by a neurosurgeon is warranted.