Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
206912

where can i get help for these symptoms. numbness in arms and

where can i get help for these symptoms. numbness in arms and legs, also unblanced on my legs
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
You should be evaluated by a neurologist.

You will also have a neurologic exam, and bloodwork drawn.

Depending on the neurologic exam, further testing can be ordered, which may include imaging of the brain or spinal cord -- and a referral to another specialist depending what is found.

For example, if you get a MRI of the neck which shows cervical spinal cord compression causing the numbness and lack of balance, then a referral to a neurosurgeon would be in order.

So, your first step should be initial evaluation with your doctor or a neurologist.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Dr Mark. Thank you for responding so quickly. I forgot to mention that I have Lupus and have recently suffered a uterine/rectol prolapse. Would that cause numbness? I am also carribean.

Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.

Well, those conditions would not be the likely cause of your numbness. Certainly the uterine and rectal prolapse has nothing to do with your current symptoms.

The first thing that should be done is a simple neurologic exam, as checking your sensation, strength, and reflexes should tell a doctor the best next place to look with tests -- whether that be in the brain, spinal cord, or for other medical conditions that can cause numbness.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Apologies for the delay in payment, I was in hospital.