Dr J Burk
Dr J Burk, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS MRCGP
5101698

prolapsed uterus..blood & urine analysic & also blood pressure

my mother is 75, who has been diagnosed with prolapsed uterus. Gynecs who checked her adviced to operate. Before carrying out the operation, she was checked for blood & urine analysic & also blood pressure

She showed little high blood pressure & was prescribed tablets for that. She was advised to undergo surgery once pressure comes under control. however, blood results were found normal except loe hoemoglobin for which she was prescribed vitamin B-12 injections,

before she is sent for surgery I would like to take yr 2nd opinion whether is it ok to go for surgery at her age? or would be advisable for other options like pessary?

Sure, she didnt tell me before that she was suffering but she was complaimning about white discharge ( may be puss?) & took her to gynec for check up. She still is reluctant to undergo surgery, please advise
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 7 years ago.
Hi

Age of 75 is no reason to prevent surgery and anesthesia especially for what should be a short procedure.

A ring pessary is a viable option.

She should not feel compelled to have surgery - her own Dr should explain the options along with their pros and cons and let her choose what she wants to do.

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes i agree with Dr, Jef's reply but also at the same time would like to know the consequence of the prolapse at the later stage of her life if not operated
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 7 years ago.
Hi

If the prolpase can be reduced with a ring pessary then there are no consequences.

I have many senior patients in my own practice with ring pessaries.

Dr Jef

If that is not possible and she has a large prolapse then trauma of the exposed tissues can cause pain and infection - which can be severe.