Alan Gibstein, M.D.
Alan Gibstein, M.D., Doctor
Experience:  Assistant Professor OB/GYN with 40 years of experience. Fellow of The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.
12995549

Im a male at 53 years of age. I went to the urologist for

Customer Question

I'm a male at 53 years of age. I went to the urologist for prostate checkup and that was fine...but doc says I should be circumsized. At timea I will get an infection "down at that place"....and doc says because the skin over laps the penis head and stays moist therefore as you get older...more likely to get these infections.

My question is....do older guys also get this done at times and what is the procedure. healing process...will it be painful?

Thank you

Bill Ripple
OHIO
Category: Health
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 7 years ago.
DearCustomer
   Hello.The circumcision does not really make hygiene any better.The view that you need a circumcision is a view of your Physician.Ideally if required the procedure is done during childhood.The fact that the foreskin covers the glans like the female clitoris is covered.The foreskin is very rich in nerve supply and enhances the feelins of pleasure during sex.Also because of rich blood supply,it engorges and causes ridging,enhancing the pleasure of the female partner.Unless there is a specific need for it,cicumcision offers no benefit in the healthy male.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

You answered the circumcision question however did not answer the rest. What can I do to treat th redness and irratation.

Thank you

Bill R.

Expert:  Alan Gibstein, M.D. replied 7 years ago.
Dear Bill R. An infection of the skin on the inside of the foreskin or involving the head of the penis is 10x more common in uncircumcised men. It is called balanitis. Circumcision is really only indicated when the forestkin cannot be completely drawn upward with exposure of the entire penile head. Yeast infections are very annoying, but harmless. Bacterial or viral infections that cannot be eradicated because the foreskin cannot be fully retracted are at risk for potentially serious infection and, rarely, cancer of the penis. The inability to retract the foreskin over the glans is called phimosis and circumcison is indicated. It is an ambulatory procedure, done under local anesthesia. There is moderate discomfort and swelling for 3-4 days and completer healing in 2 weeks. The MS probably contributes by confining you to above average hours of sitting or lying and therefore more warmth and moisture. Any OTC antifungal cream (Lamisil.etc) is OK to try. Warm soaks and antibacterial ointments can be tried if itching is not a prominent feature. goodluck
Alan Gibstein, M.D., Doctor
Experience: Assistant Professor OB/GYN with 40 years of experience. Fellow of The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.