Charogat, Doctor
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.

For almost a year now my right foot and ankle have been swelling

For almost a year now my right foot and ankle have been swelling up huge, sometimes they turn purpleish blue with bruising across the top, with a pins and needle feeling. It is worse in the heat. And there is horrible pitting. I am a 29 yo female what could this be?
Category: Health
Expert:  Charogat replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for coming to with your question.
I will ask you a few more questions in order to try to help you better.

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medicines? Have you had any major medical problems that were treated in the past?
Does anyone in your family have any medical problems?
How do you spend most of your day? Do you sit in one position a lot? Do you travel a lot?
Do you remember what the conditions were the first time you had this problem?
Do you have any varicose veins, or hemmorrhoids?
Is there anything that you can do to make it better? Is there anything you do that causes it to happen?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I do take amitryptiline, I do sit at the computer for about 3-4 hours a day. Yes I have varicose veins, and hemmorrhoids. It is worse with the heat, it goes away if I elevate my foot, but as soon as I put my foot back down, I can literally feel the water rushing back down into my foot.. My right foot does swell as well but nothing in comparison to the left. No other major "physical" medical problems. I do have bipolar type II disorder and epilepsy.
Expert:  Charogat replied 7 years ago.
What you are describing sound a lot like venous insufficiency.
Most of the treatments consist of elevation (as you already do), wearing compression stockings and various compression modalities.
This is a bit of a complicated condition and you should go see your primary care physician who can refer you to someone (likely a surgeon) for treatment (although treatment is NOT usually surgery).

If I've helped you please click "accept" so I can get paid for my time.

You should always consult with your physician for the proper diagnosis and treatment.
The above was for educational purposes only and does not confer a doctor-patient privilege or relationship.