Mel., Nurse
Experience:  Qualified in 1977,have extensive coronary care & general experience,plus stress related conditions.

I wasnt concussed but fell hard backwards and hit my head

I wasn't concussed but fell hard backwards and hit my head on corner of marble staircase. Since then i can't sleep at night as seem to drift off and a moment later wake up. My head throbs and my jaws ache. Also sharp pains behind the ears. There was slight blood. What can I take for the pain? Do I need to go and see someone? My worry is that I only have a local medical card and don't want to wast hospital time going to emergency.

Hi Denzil,

There is no wasting of hospital time where a head injuries are concerned sweetheart. I definitely would advise you to get it checked over.

Get someone to shine a torch in your eyes to check each one for pupil response. The pupil should constrict when the light is shining in it and widen up as soon as it is removed.

This will show if you have mild concussion if eirher pupil does not respond.

Please don't leave it any longer Denzil, do go and have it looked at.

Love Mel.X