Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
206912

neck..I cannott feel any swollen glands, I am generally in good health

Customer Question

i am worried about my memory/concentration as it is seems difficult to recall things instantatiously it has become a joke with my children but i am starting to become concerned. I am 43yrs old.
I have also noticed that my neck area feels tender at times although I cannott feel any swollen glands, I am generally in good health although I have gained about a stone in the past year and am struggling to lose it, that being said I am only 10st 7 so don't see it as a mojor problem just middle age spread! I am less active than I used to be but again I have put this down to age.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
Well, certainly if you feel that you are having more and more trouble with your concentration or memory -- you should have this evaluated by your doctor.

The doctor will do a neurologic exam, bloodwork to check your blood counts, vitamin levels, thyroid hormone levels, electrolytes, liver function tests, among other things, and consider if brain imaging should be done.

It is certainly unusual for a 43 year old to have problems with memory, and that this should be further investigated.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your advice yesterday I will be seeking an appointment with my GP. I am a little concerned however that my sister has polyarteritis nodosa and wondered if there is a link between PAN and any of my symptons. I remember her having many different symptoms for months before PAN was diagnosed.

My main symptons within last 6 months

joint aches & pains

sensitivity to sun

weight gain

lapse of concentration

memory lapses (more and more frequent)

tender neck

Can you advise

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
Well of the symptoms you list:

joint aches & pains

sensitivity to sun (there can be lesions on the skin)

weight gain

lapse of concentration

memory lapses (more and more frequent)

tender neck

The ones in bold probably don't fit quite well with a diagnosis of PAN.

Of course, PAN does affect many different parts of the body, including the skin, the kidneys, the nerves, abdominal pain, heart disease -- but not often problems with concentration or memory (though rarely it can cause strokes).

So further evaluation with bloodwork can be done if your doctor suspects this as a possibility.