Shannon, RN
Shannon, RN, Nurse
Experience:  8 years in the Medical field in ICU, ER, infectious disease and acute care.
18520518

I seem to have a white tongue and bad breath all the time.

Customer Question

I seem to have a white tongue and bad breath all the time. I smoke and drink a lot of milk but I don't think that's doing it. I know I have candida and I've heard it can spread through stomach and mouth. Could that be it..? I go to my dentist very often and had gum disease but he's sorting that now. I'm worried it might be a sign of something more serious. As far as I can remember I've had candida since I was about 17 and I'm 37 now. It comes and goes but never anything really serious....I also think I've had white tongue a lot of the time too. I've kind of ulcer feeling in my stomach lately but if I drink glass of milk I'm fine. Can white tongue be normal...? I'm guessing it's my stomach but I'd really appreciate your advice......                                                                                                                                          Thanking you, Gina.
Category: Health
Expert:  Shannon, RN replied 7 years ago.

Candida itself is not normal. Usually only people with a lowered immune system have Candida. Are you sure that this is acutally a fungal infection? The only way to be sure is to have it cultured.

If it is Candida it is a fungus and you need an antifungal such as Diflucan (fluconazole). Usually 200mg daily for 10 days and it should be gone.

If that answered your question, please accept may answer... your payment keeps Medical professionals on this site to answer questions much cheaper than going to see your doctor. Thank you!