Nurse Lisa
Nurse Lisa, Nurse
Experience:  Nurse, psychiatry, medsurg, and OB experience

I have a single white sore on the inside of my upper lip, near

I have a single white sore on the inside of my upper lip, near my gums. Its small, but the area is red and swollen. What is this?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Lisa replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for choosing JustAnswer!

More than likely it sounds just like a nasty canker sore. They can be very painful. They can be caused by bacteria, viruses, or fungus. If it lasts more than a week you should have a dentist take a look at it as sometimes it may mean an underlying condition. Canker sores are white with red borders, not contagious. A simple cut, eating hot or spicy foods, or even stress or allergies can bring a canker sore on. They can take up to a week to heal but you can rince with antiseptic mouthwash which will help get rid of it. To help with the pain you can buy over the counter orajel or numbing gel.

Sorry you have a canker sore! They are no funFrown

Good luck and wish you the best.