Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery

my fingers..awhile my right side, from my waist down feels numb

For the last few months I have woken up with my fingers on my right side feeling numb and feeling tingly. It takes me to get up and get moving in the morning to get them feeling normal. When I stand for awhile my right side, from my waist down feels numb and I need to sit down. I have gone for massages and accupunture but still waking up with this tingling feeling in my fingers - there are times that this numbness feeling actually wakes me up. Should I go see a specialist?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
Considering your symptoms of numbness in the arm and the leg -- I suspect that this is a nerve related condition.

These could be coming from "pinched" nerves -- and there may be two separate issues going on here -- one that affects your hand, and the other that affects the lower back, causing back and leg symptoms.

Since you are continuing to have problems with this -- yes, it would be beneficial to first have this evaluated by your regular doctor, who can do an exam and order the appropriate tests -- which will include bloodwork and imaging (perhaps a MRI of the spine, or EMG/Nerve conduction testing for carpal tunnel). Then a referral to a neurologist can be made.