Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management

My dads doctor recommended Vitron C to help, among other things,

My dad's doctor recommended Vitron C to help, among other things, eliminate his shaking hands and diarrhea. (He's 81 yrs. old, a diabetic and is in the 4th state of kidney disease). Vitron C is causing him to defecate frequently (almost diarrhea). I'm looking for a product that has a lesser amount of iron per percent daily serving; however, I first need to know what is the amount per % daily serving of iron and Vitamin C in Vitron C so that I can replace with a product that he might tolerate better. Can you give those percentages and recommend a product? Thanks.

Vitron C has a couple of dosage forms:
  1. 125mg vitamin c and 66mg ferrous fumarate
  2. 125mg vitamin c and 200mg of ferrous fumarate (this is enteric coated so it takes longer to break down--usually in the small intestine rather than the stomach.
Some people can not tolerate alot of iron which can cause gastrointestinal symptoms, such as diarrhea, constipation, nausea and vomiting. Ferrous fumarate is normal tolerated much better than other forms of iron (like ferrous sulfate), but this does not seem to be the case with your Dad.

The recommended dietary allowance for men is 8mg per day. But because your Dad has kidney disease, he is probably suffering from anemia and/or low iron in his blood. I'm sure this is why his physician wants him to take supplements.

A normal multivitamin usually has about 18mg of iron included. The best thing to do is contact his physician's office and let them know he is not tolerating this supplement. They can suggest another one to try.

You need to be careful about the type of supplement you give him. With kidney disease there are supplements he should not take. His physician should make this decision.

I am also including this website: Dietary Supplement fact sheet on Iron. It has a list of foods with their iron content. Including some foods with a higher iron content in his diet might help.

Hope this helps. Take care.