Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience
9324755

My boyfriends right foot suddenly swelled up and its been

My boyfriend's right foot suddenly swelled up and it's been 2 days. He's iced it and taken ibuprofen but no change. What do you think?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 7 years ago.

Greetings,

Which part of the foot? How large is the swelling? Any other sympXXXXX XXXXXke pain , redness? Any past illness? Any truma? Any test ? Any treatment taken? Please mention his age .

Regards
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He is 52 and hasn't seen a Dr. in many years. He is over weight and drinks a considerable amount of alcohol. The foot is swollen from the ankle to the base of the toes. He says that there is a tingling sensation.
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the input,

The swelling of the ankle & feet is called edema & is due to collection of fluid. Typically it develops in these parts of the body due to gravity . There are many causes of swollen feet. Sometimes it may occurs without any disease due to prolonged standing. Other causes may be the diseases of the heart, kidney, liver, lymphatic obstruction, venous insufficiency, low blood protein etc. When on one side , it can be from venous or lymphatic obstruction like by clot on that side. He needs a clinical examination by doctor and do some investigations to determine the precise cause & start treatment accordingly.

Hope this information will help you.
Wish his early recovery.
Any query, please ask.
Regards.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I can't get him to go to a Dr. That's why I'm trying this. Do you have any other suggestions?
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 7 years ago.
He should understand that it should not be neglected. The underlying cause needs to be found out & treated. It may lead to complications. There is no otc medication to reduce it.