Kerry
Kerry, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  35 years in Nursing: OB/GYN, Peds, Oncology, hospice, Ortho, Neuro, Addiction, Recovery, Geriatrics,
169559

Hi, Im having eight teeth removed in three days

Customer Question

I'm having eight teeth removed in three days. Should I be concerned about Atenolol 50 mg. Since I live alone, I'm having novacaine without epi as I have a terrible reaction to epi. Guess I'm get really anxious about all of this. My dentist is aware of the medications I take. On top of all of this my husband died soon to be six months ago. Very emotional time.

Thank you.
Category: Health
Expert:  Kerry replied 7 years ago.

hello

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. I can surely understand your fears, and this is so normal. Atenolol is to control your blood pressure and should be fine to take the day of your procedure. It shouldn't effect anything. I'm wondering if you could get someone to stay with you the night after the procedure just to allay your anxiety a bit. You should most definitely see if someone can give you a ride home.

For the first few days after having the teeth pulled, be sure to eat a soft diet as tolerated. Stock up on puddings and soups for example. Cold drinks and cold compresses will help you with any swelling and pain you may have. Plain tylenol is best as aspirin products can thin your blood and you are going to want to watch for bleeding after the procedures. The tylenol will help with any swelling as well.

Everything should be fine.

kerry

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your response.

I don't want anyone to take me to the dentist or stay with me though I have had offers. After taking care of my husband for almost three years on my own I don't want anyone to see this "weak" side of me now. I was so strong and hid my fears,tears from everyone.

Hard to describe. I don't want to appear as the "wimpy widow" that has finally admitted she's scared. Never told anyone all the times I was scared with the feed tubes, injections and so much more that I chose to do for my husband. They all thought of me as "Superwoman". I see that you have experience in oncology so you might imagine what my life was like. My husband had stage IV esophageal ca with mets to liver,lungs,brain and stomach. Pretty sure you know how his and my life was dealing with this.

Expert:  Kerry replied 7 years ago.
Hello
Yes, I do surely understand what you have gone through. Both you and your husband. Being a nurse I see it a lot, and have gone through it with my own family members.

I understand your not wanting to appear to be weak. I'm quite the same way. have you ever thought of it this way? Perhaps your family/friends are at a loss and really really want to help you. Asking for a ride home from a procedure such as yours is pretty normal. I suppose you could call for a cab, but why not ask a friend or family member. It will help THEM feel like they have helped you.
Kerry