Charogat
Charogat, Doctor
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
16403115

Throat infection and breathing tube for sedation On Friday

Customer Question

Throat infection and breathing tube for sedation?

On Friday I went to the doctor with a really bad sore throat and slight fever (101). The rapid strep test which came out negative. The doctor said it was a viral infection and gave me some lidocaine to gargle.

My fever has been gone for several days, but my throat still hurts. I checked it today and noticed several white spots on my Uvula. I don't seem to have any white spots on the sides of my throat (tonsil area) - but it's all still very red.

I am scheduled to have a Cystoscopy done on Tuesday where I WILL be sedated. I don't know what type of sedation, but I'm not to eat or drink anything after midnight the night before and it's being done at the hospital. I'm assuming(?) it will be an IV sedation.

If that's the case, I'm also guessing there may be a breathing tube.

If they DO plan to use a breathing tube, do I need to delay the procedure until my throat is cleared up or does it matter?
Category: Health
Expert:  Charogat replied 5 years ago.
Being 'knocked out' does not mean being fully unconscious to the extent that you would need to have a breathing tube. It is quite unusual to sedate someone that deeply for a cystoscopy.
Before they put you to sleep (probably before you go in to the room for the procedure) the anesthesiologist will talk to you about it. You can mention your concern to him, but I don't think it will be an issue. Additionally, with a viral infection that has been there since Friday, chances are it will be very much improved by Tuesday.
Good Luck with your procedure
G-d Bless You.

If you are happy with my answer please click "accept" so that I can get paid.
Charogat, Doctor
Experience: Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your quick response. I ask one follow-up question then happily pay your fee!

I noticed today that I had some white spots on my uvula. I did not notice them before (although I haven't been looking). I do not seem to have any white spots on the sides of my throat - just the uvula.

Since the Rapid Strep Test on Friday was negative, do I need to be concerned and/or rechecked at my doctor?

Thanks again!
Expert:  Charogat replied 5 years ago.
Sorry about the delay - ESPECIALLY after you thanked me for my quick response. I had a small emergency come up that I had to attend to.
White spots can appear from viral infections as well as bacterial. Since the rapid strep was negative, and your fever is gone, I would think it is still not an issue and you do not need to be re-checked for this problem at this time.
Now that almost 12 hours have past since your initial post, have you seen any difference in your condition yet?

G-d Bless You
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My procedure went fine and I am recovering. Thanks so much for asking!!!
Expert:  Charogat replied 5 years ago.
I'm so happy to hear that and thank you for keeping me up to date..
Now it is your job to just STAY well Laughing
G-d Bless you