Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.

killer blinding headache..back of my head at the bottom by my neck

i am exhausted and every time i have woke up from sleeping have a killer blinding headache in the back of my head at the bottom by my neck. this has been going on for about a week
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 7 years ago.
As such there may be following possibilities in your case.
Tension headache -most common
Sinus headache
Sleep Apnea
Cervical radiculopathy - pressure on an irritated nerve resulting in headache and neck pain.
You need to undergo X-ray of cervical spine and X-ray of Para nasal sinuses .
You should do meditation and deep breathing exercises to relieve stress and anxiety which can aggravate your symptoms.
If you are taking any birth control pills then you should check it out as estrogen seems to trigger or make your headaches worse.
You should wear a mask while you sleep (known as a CPAP mask) which will generally cure your morning headaches.
You should also undergo blood pressure monitoring as high blood pressure can result in headache.
You should avoid alcohol consumption.
You can place an ice pack wrapped in a cloth on the back of your neck and apply gentle pressure to painful areas on your scalp.
You can also do gentle massage with medicated oils on scalp before going to bed which can be helpful to you.
If you have sinus problem then steam inhalation can be very effective.
I suggest you to consult your doctor for further evaluation and management.