Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice

White spots on Uvula On Friday I went to the doctor with

Customer Question

White spots on Uvula?
On Friday I went to the doctor with a really bad sore throat and slight fever (101) The rapid strep test which came out negative. The doctor said it was a viral infection and gave me some lidocaine to gargle to help with the pain. It did.

My fever has been gone for several days, but my throat still hurts. I checked it today (Sunday) with a flashlight and noticed several white spots on my Uvula. I don't seem to have any white spots on the sides of my throat (tonsil area) - but it's all still very red.

Two questions:

1) Would white spots be part of a viral infection or should I go back for another strep test (or test for thrush)

2) I'm also scheduled to be sedated for minor surgery on Tuesday. If they use a breathing tube, should I delay the surgery?

Thanks so much!
Category: Health
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 7 years ago.
   Hello.The white spots need not be Strep but may be Thrush.Since you have already tested negative for Strep,it seems unlikely.Fungal infection is a possibility.Viral infection may be another reason.As regards XXXXX XXXXX tube for breathing during Minor surgery,If the procedure is a short one injectable drugs can be used and a Tracheal tube can be avoided.Local/spinal anaesthesia can also be used depending on the surgery.Please inform your doctor prior to the surgery of your problem,he may reschedule/use a alternative anaesthesia method.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your prompt response. The surgery is actually sedation for a Cystoscopy. I don't know if they'll use a breathing tube or not as part of the sedation...but I WILL be sedated. What do you advise?
I dont think you will need a breathing tubefor that and the sedation may be oral/injectable.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks. I should have mentioned that I'm not to eat or drink anything after midnight the night before the Cystoscopy, so I'm assuming it will be an IV sedation. If that's the case, I'm also guessing there will be a breathing tube. I can try to call the doctor's office tomorrow.

If they DO plan to use a breathing tube, should I postpone the Cystoscopy until my throat is cleared up?

Thanks again!
Not really.But do let your doctor know that your throat problem has not settled.For a short procedure like Cystoscopy,General Anaesthesia using intubation is normally not used.Injectable drugs are usually adequate.