Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.

A 15 year old girl has a hemoglobin of 8.1, an iron level of

Customer Question

A 15 year old girl has a hemoglobin of 8.1, an iron level of 9, and platelt count of 460. What is indicated?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 7 years ago.

Normal range

Serum iron= 59-158 mcg/dL(10.6-28.3µmol/L) for men
37-145mcg/dL(6.6-26µmol/L) for women
Hemoglobin (12-15)
Platelets (100,000 to 450,000)

Her hemoglobin is low, indicating a low red blood cell count. This is called anemia.
It may be caused by mild iron deficiency, the most common cause of anemia in menstruating women, and can be treated with an oral iron supplement.

Other possibility - Pernicious anemia ( decrease in red blood cells that occurs when the body cannot properly absorb vitamin B12 from the gastrointestinal tract)

The mildly elevated platelets are really very unconcerning. Platelet count can increase as an "acute phase reactant", in response to mild inflammation from almost any cause.

As she has low Hemoglobin she needs to undergo Complete Blood count,TIBC, Peripheral Blood Film to rule out the type of anemia .
As treatment depends on the type of anemia.
I suggest you to consult your regular doctor / hematologist for further evaluation and management.

I hope this helps.