Salar, Doctor
Experience:  int.medicine board eligible, research fellowship cardiology.. working at UTMCK

Got steroid shot for severe cold/flu/sinus. Unable to sleep

On Monday I was given a steroid shot for severe cold/flu/sinus issues. They also prescribed me a z-pac and prednisone....well I have not been able to sleep AT ALL going on 4 days. I am desparate to sleep. I called the doctor and all they would do for me is prescribe me some xanax....this does not seem to be helping tonight. Can I take nyquil on top of all this or will this be a bad idea. I am going insane without sleep! HELP! I also tried to take benedryl last night, which usually I can take one and it will knock me out but I took 4 and they did absolutely nothing to make me sleep.

Category: Health
Expert:  Salar replied 7 years ago.

You need to stop steroids. Steroids have known side effects to cause lack of sleep. You can take nyquil but make sure you don't take extra doses of xanax or benadryl with it.