Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS

I feel like I have something stuck in my chest. Noticed it

Customer Question

I feel like I have something stuck in my chest. Noticed it first time last night at dinner. Some of the food even hurt when going through that part of my chest. Just feels like a tightness or a lump. No other symptoms, no heartburn or acid reflux. Any ideas?
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for writing JustAnswer with your question.

It sounds like you have a constriction in your esophagus, as it sounds like you suspect. This could be from a growth or it could be from swelling.

It is important for you to go ahead and get examined today. If you cannot see your doctor, then you will need to go to ER.

There is the slight possibility that it could continue to swell and block your breathing tube as well - so it is protocol when ever any one has this symptoms to check it out right away.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Susan,

Thank you for your quick response. Can I ask what might cause this kind of problem. I noticed nothing until I took my first bite of food last night and swallowed. Drinking fluids doesn't seem to hurt, only solid foods. But the "lump" feeling is constant.

Thanks again,

Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 7 years ago.

Sorry Rhonda, I was away from the computer and am back although may have to leave for only another 30 minutes or so in a bit.

Is this lump feeling above your adam's apple. Feel the largest area on your mid throat - that should be the adams apple. See if you can tell if this is above the adam's apple or below.

Also, do you smoke?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No, the lump feeling is in my chest. Pretty much exactly between my breasts. No, I do not smoke.

Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 7 years ago.

This does sound like it is closer to the valve at the end of the esophagus between the stomach. This is the valve that is involved when there is acid reflux.

It is possible something is stuck there. Sometimes if you take any medications, a pill will get stuck and then as it dissoves, irritate the mucosa or even make an ulcer. Or a rough piece of food or a piece of meat that had bone in it that you did not realize irritating the area is another possibility

It is also said that stress can cause this area to tighten. Only you can say if you think you have had more stress lately and somehow if this is the part of your body that is showing the effects. (if you do feel you are under a lot of stress, I have a good reference for you, if you like).

If this continues, you will may need to have an EGD to find out what the problem is. An x-ray might be done first.

I found some information from an ENT's web page regarding this conditions that also mentions possible canker sore or a type of diverticulum. See:

Let me know if you have any other questions about this that I can help you with. Oh, you may want to try some liquid maalox and see if it helps, just in case there is some irritation there. Sometimes there is no burning even when some gastric juice may have irritated the area, especially if this is the first time it has happened - it may not burn yet because the tissue has not been deeply effected yet.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks so much for your help. I think I will go ahead and make an appointment wity my physician. I'm one of those people who hate to run to the doctor and feel like I'm crying wolf that's why I tried this site first. It was a good choice. The information you provided helped a great deal.

Have a great night.

Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 7 years ago.

You are very welcome. Hope you are better soon.