Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

/24/09) I felt a pain in the back of my head..I ran my fingers..skull

On sunday night (05/24/09) I felt a pain in the back of my head. I ran my fingers over the painful spot and noticed there was a hard lump on the base of my skull.. on the right side. the pain was horrible! The next morning i woke up feeling dreadful, i was extremely tired and lethargic, and i had a nasty headache.. this lasted all day long, and the lump didn't get any smaller.. it feels like it spread out some. Then i noticed about a half inch under it there was a smaller lump forming. When i woke up the next day, the lump was still there and still very painful, at this point it's about the size of a grape , and the smaller one grew to about the size of an eraser on a pencil. However, I did not have a headache, but i was extremely lethargic. Now tonight I am getting a pain behind my right eye. Do You think i should be concerned, and go to the ER, at this time i don't have insurance, and the hospital does have a charity program. Any information would help.. thanks!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 years ago.

Greetings.

Are both the lumps or skin around it, red, warm, tender?

Do you have fever or feverish feeling?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no it's not red, it's a little warm.. i thought maybe it was an ingrown hair or something like that. but there's no "head" on it, the large lump is very hard, and the smaller one is more soft at this point, and is expanding.. i looked alot of information up on the internet about this, and it seems like a swollen occipital lymp node, but with having the headache and all i was a bit worried. I do sometimes have a feverish feeling, i haven't been sleeping well for a few days.. tossing and turning.. sometimes waking up sweating..

The following are the possibilities;

1) Boil or carbuncle; please read the resource on it.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/boils-and-carbuncles/DS00466

2) Folliculitis

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/folliculitis/DS00512

3) Inflamed lymph nodes

This following treatment would help in all;

1) Ice compresses

2) Antibiotics

3) Local application of Betadine cream or Betadine solution (available without the prescription)

4) Ibuprofen (Motrin or Advil)

For antibiotics, you may need a prescription from your physician.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

if the headache comes back, and the lethargy continues should i go to the ER?

Yes, the severity of the symptoms would warrant an ER visit. If the headache comes back and lethargy is continuous and significant, you may go to ER or an urgent care clinic for an evaluation and prescription of antibiotic.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun