Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

I am very bloated and cant seem to pass gas or burp. This

I am very bloated and can't seem to pass gas or burp. This has been going on since Saturday after eating nuts. I have moved my bowels but the bloating comes back after I eat. I tried Gas-x, some coca cola which helped a little bit, but the bloating keeps coming back.   I feel like my stomach is distended and the pain is starting to radiate around my back. Any suggestions for some quick relief?
Category: Health
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I do not have my gallbladder it was removed in 1997. I have had bloating before but it typically is related to something I eat and not for an extended period of time. What is weird is that I thought I was constipated but I have moved my bowels but still feel bloated. I have been treated for acid reflux and take prevacid once daily. I also take Zyrtec for allergies, Zetia for cholesterol and Loestrin 24 Birth Control pills. I have a wheat intolerance and use gluten free products as a replacement for wheat products.

Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 7 years ago.

Ok, good for having the gall bladder removed. That can cause very similar symptoms as you have described and wanted to rule that out first.

As far as the bloating goes, I see you have tried Gas-X...this contains Simethicone and will be the best thing for you to take for your bloating. As far as dosage, you can take a maximum of 480mg per day .... usual dosage for flatulence is 80-120mg's four times a day as needed. I would suggest checking the strength of the Gas-X and increasing your dosage of Gas-X (if you are not already at the Max) and see if this helps. Also, staying away from known triggers, of course for gas such as onions, cucumbers, beans, green peppers, cabbage, soft drinks (coca-cola), apples, bananas, prunes, melons, eggs, fried breads such as donuts, and pastries, artifical sweetners, and milk products. I see you use gluten free products and avoid wheat--think you might have consumed something that was not gluten-free?? (just brain storming).

In the meantime, you can use a stool softner to help facilitate the passage of stool easier and ward off future constipation problems.

Hope this helps....reply back if needed

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I do not think I consumed anything that was not Gluten Free but could I feel this way if I just ate too much carbs? Since I have been taking Gas-X Extra Stength for a few days and it does not seem to be helping is there anything else you can suggest to relieve the bloating. I am so uncomfortable and I am afraid to eat anything for fear it will make it worse.

Yes, consuming carbs could certainly make you feel bloated. Sugar and fiber will also.

Digestive enzymes have been shown to help reduce the gas that some people have. Beano is a commonly found product that contains a digestive enzyme that might help you. Other digestive enzymes can be found at your local pharmacy department such as those containing lactase.

IBS and Chron's disease (intestinal disorders) can cause bloating but your Dr would have to see you and diagnose you with this as it would be difficult in saying whether or not you have IBS or Chron's over the internet.

I would like to mention that H. Pylori (a bacteria that can infect the gut) can cause bloating. It is the same bacteria that is often times responsible for causing gastric ulcers.

I think a conservative approach this quick is best. Try the digestive enzymes and continue to take the Gas-x as recommended. If it continues on, then I would see my regular Dr for a follow up.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I had an endoscopy about 6 months ago and everything came back negative for H-Pylori. I have been following a Acid free diet and this seems to help with the control of my reflux but I still take the prevacid almost every day.

Could prevacid be interferring with my ability to pass gas or burp?

Good that you are negative for H. Pylori also.

No, Prevacid should not interfere with your ability to pass gas or burp. Not at all.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

If I stay away from the foods you suggested, how long would you anticipate seeing relief from the bloating? I seem to feel better in the morning but as day goes on after I eat it comes back. Should I take the Gas-x even if I feel better in the morning or wait if the symptoms reappear which is what I have been doing

Once you eliminate things that could cause the gas, you should begin to see relief in 1-2 days....especially if you are having normal bowel movements. Suspicious that you get worse as the day goes must be something you are eating. Try to be very aware of what you eat and see if that helps. I would only take the Gas X as needed...if you feel ok in the mornings, then I would not take it.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is it normal for people to not be able to pass gas or burp, it seems so unnatural that it gets trapped most of the time? Is there anything I can do? I try staying away from fruit because it gives me more gas and I cannot eat fiber because of the wheat intolerance, do you have any suggestions for what I eat for the next few days that will not cause more gas buildup?

Everyone has trouble with gas from time to time. If you are having this problem consistantly (as to say "most of the time") I would suggest seeing the GI physician for possible diagnosis of Chrons, IBS, or even lactose intolerance.

You can eat what you normally do, just take a look back at the list of foods I have provided and try to stay away from those. Also this link might be helpful....

Your $$$ that you have put down as a deposit will not go to me unless you click ACCEPT. will hold your deposit and it will not be released to me for my efforts and time. So please remember that if my answer has provided some insight or information, please click ACCEPT so that I can continue to help others. Let me know if more clarification is needed.