Edward Johnson
Edward Johnson, U.S. Army Medic
Experience:  U.S. Army Medical Services Corps, and Special Forces Med School, Ft. Sam Houstan, Tx; EMT U.AK

My son has a very distict white spot on his head with about

Customer Question

My son has a very distict white spot on his head with about 5 white hairs growing out of it can you tell me what it could be and if he needs to be seen it does not hurt or itch he says. He is half mexican and is dark complected
Category: Health
Expert:  Edward Johnson replied 7 years ago.

Dear April,

I need some additional information.

1. Was he born with this, or did it appear later?

2. How long has he had this white spot?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no he was not born with it we just noticed it in the last week. He has had it about a week.

Dear april,

Such a spot is most likely caused by a fungus of a variety called tinea. However without physically looking at it and taking a skin cell test it would not be definitive.

The skin test is referred to as a KOH (potassium hydroxide) prep. IN this procedure a small numbrer of cells are taken from the advancing edge of the area by a method that does not cause pain or discomfort. Your skin has lots of dead cells laying around on its surface. A few of these are used to look for fungal spores.

YOu should go to a physician to have this looked at and to verify if it is a fungus.