Doctor G.
Doctor G., Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Internal Medicine / Cardiology / Endocrine questions
12907602

Hi, I have been urinating a lot lately ( with no pain while

Hi, I have been urinating a lot lately ( with no pain while urination, odor, blood, no color) and i have had a mild yet irritating lower back pain. It was only 2 days ago that i got a high fever of about 39 and went to a medical center. The nurse said i had a UTI ( or as he called it a water infection) so he prescribed me Trimethoprim 200 mg and told me to take 2 tablets a day ( one in the morning and one at night) for three days. I am in the 2nd day of the course now and i still have a mild fever of 38 and now my back changed in the sense that both sides of the lower back hurt. I still frequently urinate. I also made sure i drank 1 litre of water a day and 2 glasses of cranberry juice. When will i get better?
Thank you.
This is may bit confusing to explain. There are two real possibilities. The first and the most likely is that this is now becoming a kidney infection and the medication is not working for the bacteria. The second possibility is that this particular type of bacteria is being destroyed by the antibiotic and releasing it's toxin. Sometimes it can take 2-4 days to start to feel better because the toxin is slowly being cleared from the body.
I would recommend that if you do not feel better within the next 24 hours, go back and ask for another antibiotic (in a different class) as the bacteria may be resistant to trimethoprim.

If you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask.

God Bless.

Have a blessed Sunday.
I hope I’ve been able to shed a little light on this for you.
If you have further questions on this topic, please feel free to ask.
Please remember to press "Accept"

You should always consult with your physician for the proper diagnosis and treatment.
The above was for educational purposes only and does not confer a doctor-patient privilege or relationship.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Do you have any idea what this could be from? Im a 20 year old female and I wash myself every time I go the bathroom. I am not sexually active and have never been sexually active.
Thank you very much.
Women are at greater risk of developing a urinary tract infection than are men. This is because the urethra is in such close proximity to the rectum and also the vagina. It is estimated that more than half of the women (in the world) will go on to develop a urinary tract infection sometime in their lives. Of course sexual intercourse is a big contributor but not always. If this is your first bout, don't worry about it. If this is a continuous issue then an immune problem may be to blame, such as diabetes or other immune issues. Like I said, if this is the first time and your 20, I wouldn't worry about it.

You are on the right tract, keep drinking fluids.

God Bless.

Have a blessed Sunday.
Please remember to press "Accept"

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can i start taking the new antibiotic (Ciprobay 500) now or do i have to wait till tomorrow? its been 12 hours since i took the trimpethoprim. And can i take (Nurofen which is Ibuprofen) now so i can ease the pain? Sorry for the questions
No, I would go a head and start on the Cipro today, no reason to wait.You can take the ibuprofen now as well. If you have no bleeding issues, you can take 600mg at one time, which is 3 pills.
Don't apologize, you can always request me!

God Bless.

Have a blessed Sunday.
Please remember to press "Accept"