MasterDoc, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Physician for 20 years

It says Take one tablet up to three times a day as needed for pain

I have a prescription for Hydrocodone 7.5-500 TAB.

It says Take one tablet up to three times a day as needed for pain. I took one at 6:00 A.M. This morning. Do I need to wait a full 8 hours before I take a second tablet? By 4:00 P.M. this afternoon I'm sure my migraine will be over.

The first tablet helped a great deal but I still have enough pain to keep me from sleeping.
Category: Health
Expert:  MasterDoc replied 7 years ago.
First of all, I must say that advising an individual to take a controlled substance (narcotic) such as vicodin in any way other than as instructed on the label is illegal. Having said that, every 6 hours is a routine interval for administration of this vicodin over one day. Warfarin will not affect this.\
Please click ACCEPT.
Feel free to ask a follow-up question.
And a BONUS is always appreciated.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. I accepted the answer. This is exactly what I needed to know.

I would never take in violation of the lable but "No more than 3 a day" could mean 1 every 2 hours until you had taken 3. I didn't think that was the case but now I know after 6 hours I can take another if I need it.