DoogleNK, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD

My father-in-law was diagnosed with prostate cancer, and had

My father-in-law was diagnosed with prostate cancer, and had the radioactive seeds inplanted. He is not been able to urinate on his own since then (approx 4 mos.) and he must catherize himself in order to urinate. The doctor checked him the other day for signs of infection, and checked his bones. Why would he check his spinal column and joints? The Dr told him to watch for signs of infection in his bones, but did not say what to look for, and he didn't ask. Can you explain this? Thank you.
Hello lolly

Prostate cancer is associated with bone complications.Prostate is in pelvis ,so the most common bones to suffer are pelvic bone,lower spine and thigh bones.

He should look for bone pain which indicates infection or fracture which are the complications of this cancer.

Also bone metastasis (spread) is common in prostate cancer.

Kindly press ACCEPT if your question has been answered. FEEDBACK & BONUS is appreciated.
Please note that the information provided is not a substitute to medical advice.