Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience:  Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling

tendon..home from work today, and my ankle, foot and toes are swollen

I recently had surgery to repair a ruptured Achilles tendon (surgery was on 2/18/2009). I came home from work today, and my ankle, foot and toes are swollen. I look like I have a baseball on the sides of my ankles, as well as on the top of my foot. My toes look like little sausages, and it's rather painful. Is this something I need to go to the emergency room and/or see my doctor about?

Call the surgeon right away and report your symptoms to him. I don't know when you had your last follow-up visit with him, since the surgery, but he needs to know of the extreme swelling of your foot and ankle. Continue to keep it elevated, preferably while lying down so it can be propped on a pillow making your foot higher than heart level. Please try to stay off of it for the rest of today, and keep it up. The doctor will want to take an xray. You may have been up on your feet for too long and fluid has seeped into the tissues in the area creating the swelling and pressure which is giving you severe pain. However, medical exam is needed to be sure that there is no further injury.

I hope all will be well with you!

Feel free to let me know.