Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

My son broke the growth plate in his big toe last year. He

Customer Question

My son broke the growth plate in his big toe last year. He has been complaining of foot pain and when I took him to a podatrist we discovered that he still has the break. One doctor told me that his toe will not grow anymore. Is there anything else that can be done?
Category: Health
Expert:  Foot Doc replied 7 years ago.
Hello--this is a tough question to answer without actually seeing the X-rays--any chance you could post a copy of the films? Generally speaking after a year if there's a fracture that has not healed, then something like a bone stimulator probably wouldn't work, however it might be something that could be tried. What is the current treatment plan being that he is still in pain? I don't think you have to worry about his toe not growing big enough to cause problems w/ balance or support, but he may eventually need surgery to repair the fracture if he is still having pain or other problems
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have the x-rays of the original injury and a current x-ray. I have an appointment with a orthopedic specialist, for a second opinion, but have to wait a few weeks for the appointment.

I can send you copies of the x-rays where should I send it?
Expert:  Foot Doc replied 7 years ago.
I was meaning if you could post it w/ your response--One way would be to take a digital photo--upload it to your computer and then attach it to your response