DoogleNK
DoogleNK, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD

My blood pressure has always been in the normal range, but

My blood pressure has always been in the normal range, but I had a life insurance PE recently and was told that the readings in my left arm were significantly higher than the readings in my right arm. Two readings in the left arm were: 160/80 and 160/82. The readings in the right arm were 128/78 and 130/80. I'm a 62 yo female and in good overall health except for arthritis pain that makes it hard to sleep at night. I understand that chronic sleep deprivation can lead to high blood pressure, but what worries me is that large difference in the readings between my two arms. How serious is this?
Category: Health
Expert:  DoogleNK replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomerbr />
any test or investigations?
Since when do you have this ?

Kindly press ACCEPT if your question has been answered. FEEDBACK & BONUS is appreciated.
_______________________________________
Please note that the information provided is not a substitute to medical advice.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No tests yet. Just had life insurance PE this morning at which the four BP readings were taken.
Expert:  DoogleNK replied 5 years ago.
Since this is a new finding,the causes of congenital problems is ruled out.

Acquired conditions like aortic dissection, atheroma, thrombus, embolus, and extrinsic compression ( associated with a mass in the upper chest),peripheral vascular disease can be few causes.

Interarm blood pressure difference is an important finding in dissection of the aorta, which is an life-threatening emergency.

you should get yourself examined throughly .
If nothing serious is found on investigation then no need to worry,but getting investigated is important.

_______________________________________

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks. I had already found the information you provided on websites dealing with blood pressure and cardiology.

I wonder if the following additional symptom may be related to the blood pressure finding: I'm chronically kept awake at night, not only by arthritis pain, but also, increasingly, by severe numbness and tingling in my hands and to a lesser extent in my feet. I have no history of diabetes, so this is unlikely to be diabetic peripheral neuopathy. But I wonder if it and/or the BP finding could be indicative of Peripheral Arterial Disease? But I have no history of elevated "bad" cholesterol levels and, in fact, my "bad" cholesterol level is typically low while my "good" cholesterol level is typically high.

Expert:  DoogleNK replied 5 years ago.
Good to here about your cholesterol.
Peripheral arterial disease mainly causes intermittent cramping pain ,rather than tingling numbness.

Tingling and numbness can be related to nerve compression or injury,or vitamin B12 deficiency,etc

These two thing are different.
Its better to get evaluated for your difference in BP.

For more information, please read this.
_______________________________________

DoogleNK, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MD