Doctor G.
Doctor G., Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Internal Medicine / Cardiology / Endocrine questions
12907602

you eat crackers thats entirely made of carbohydrates. describe

you eat crackers that's entirely made of carbohydrates. describe in sequential order how your body digests this cracker. begin at the mouth and end at the liver.
Category: Health
Expert:  Doctor G. replied 7 years ago.
First, carbs vary in complexity. We will assume that this cracker will not have Very Complex Carbohydrates, but instead either mono or disaccharide.

1) Mouth- chewing the cracker (mastication) breaks down the cracker into smaller pieces. The carbohydrates are broken down by saliva, specifically an enzyme called AMYLASE. Specifically, Salivary Amylase is an enzyme that breaks down carbs into smaller sugars like mon and disaccharides. This happens in a rapid fashion

2) esophagus- no digestion

3) Stomach- a very limited amount of carbohydrate digestion occurs here.

4) Small intestine - In the small intestine, duodenum, a number of pancreatic enzymes (alpha-amylase, amylose, amylopectin) help to break down the sugars (which are now simple) even further into glucose.
The glucose is attached to transporters (specific protein that carry glucose) into the blood stream where it is taken up into cells or into the liver.

5)Liver- In the liver, the glucose is either utilized or is linked back up into long chains, called carbs!

Basically the body breaks the carbs down, just to relink them back up and store them for later use.

If you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask.

God Bless.

Have a blessed Wednesday.
I hope I’ve been able to shed a little light on this for you.
If you have further questions on this topic, please feel free to ask.
Please remember to press "Accept"

You should always consult with your physician for the proper diagnosis and treatment.
The above was for educational purposes only and does not confer a doctor-patient privilege or relationship.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
CAN I MAKE A INTRODUCTORY PARAGRAPH AND CONCLUDING [PARAGRAPH WITH A BODY
Expert:  Doctor G. replied 7 years ago.
Sure, was the other one satisfactory?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THERE SUPPOSE TO BE TOGETHER I DIDN'T WRITE UP RIGHT
Expert:  Doctor G. replied 7 years ago.
I meant the issue with the liver.