Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

I have white fuzz on my tongue that wont go away. I scrape

Customer Question

I have white fuzz on my tongue that won't go away. I scrape my tongue every day, but it persists. I have researched online and think that I have thrush. Is there any natural treatment for this?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 4 years ago.

Hello.

The most common cause for the white tounge is- Oral thrush. It is a yeast infection. It is usually, seen in people with compromised immune systems.

Oral thrush is more likely to occur after the use of antibiotics.

For natural treatment , you can do this- You should eat , plain yogurt with live and active cultures . As such Anti-fungal medications, have to be given. You need to be treated with such medications.

It is treated with nystatin (eg Nystan oral suspension), amphotericin (eg Fungilin lozenges.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't take antibiotics, I live a healthly life style and have not been ill, except for attendin my dentist for extensive dental work. Can there be a connection?
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 4 years ago.

Yes, the dental disease, can result in the decreased immunity , and further- fungus can grow in the mouth . That is the reason , you have developed white tongue. it can be easily treated with anti-fungal medications.

Take Care

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't use antibiotics. I was hoping for a more natural solution for my problem.

I don't accept your solution for my problem. Thank you anyway.

Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 4 years ago.

Hello

I agree with the other expert about his ideas of treament and causes. I would also like to leave/add my thoughts as I see you are offine.

Candidiasis (or thrush) is just an overgrowth of yeast in the mouth...quite common. It has many causes ranging from antibiotic usage, diabetes, asthma medications, over consumption of sugar, and several other causes such as stress, birth control pills, and having a dry mouth can all lead to oral thrush. It is not caused by a deficiency of any kind in the body but could represent a weakened immune system-and possibly your recent dental work. To avoid reoccurance, you would have to know the cause. For example, if it's due to antibiotic usage, there is nothing you can do besides not taking the antibiotics. Antibiotics kill both good and bad bacteria, and thus always the overgrowth of yeast but you stated that you are not taking antibiotics, so this does not apply to this particular case at this time. Some cases of oral thrush has no known cause. So, sometimes, it cannot be avoided.

Oral Nystatin is a prescription medication that is used for oral thrush and will usually clear up thrush within a few days and the medicine is very inexpensive. However, if you are looking for something 'natural', grapefruit seed extract (liquid form) has been shown to reduce fungal infections in the mouth. You use 10 drops of the liquid mixed with 10 drops of water and use a Q-tip to 'paint' the mouth. You can also use tea tree oil and coconut oil (liquid) to paint the mouth and tongue (with a Q-tip). Gentian Violet has been known to help with thrush also, but Australian researchers have shown that it could cause things like mouth cancer when used in larger amounts.

Here is a link to some all natural thrush treatments.... click here.

If all else fails, you might have to get the rx for Nystatin.

Hope this helps!

********************

Your $$$ that you have put down as a deposit will not go to me unless you click ACCEPT. JustAnswer.com will hold your deposit and it will not be released to me for my efforts and time. So please remember that if my answer has provided some insight or information, please click ACCEPT so that I can continue to help others. Let me know if more clarification is needed.