drknowsbest
drknowsbest, Doctor
Experience:  DO board certified family practitioner spec. in womens health
9384716

I have swelling in my upper inner thigh. It feels like I have

I have swelling in my upper inner thigh. It feels like I have a ball or my pant are bunched between my legs. What could this be?
Category: Health
Expert:  drknowsbest replied 5 years ago.
Hello Customer!
If this is nontender then it could be a hernia. A bulge can indicate this which is a hole in the muscle which part of the intestine bulges through. If this becomes tender or discolored or you have a change in bowel habits then this is emergent. If not then you need an appointment with your dr to confirm the diagnosis and possible surgery to repair.
If the area is tender then it can be an abscess or infection which can occur, signs that could point in this direction are redness or hardness, warmth, discharge.
Uninfected cysts are also a possibility, this can occur from lipid deposits, glandular enlargement, or other causes. There is no necessary treatment for this but either way should also be confirmed.
Good Luck
Hope this helps!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The swelling is on both sides of the inside of my thigh directly below my vaginal area. It is not in the joints of my legs. You know how if you have on exercise short and they bunch between your legs? Thats how it feels eventhough I do not have on any clothing.
It is less likely a hernia then since it is both sides, but these can be in the groin or in the vulva (around the vagina).
If it is between your vagina and rectum a hemorrhoid is a possibility. These may not get irritated and cause pain but bulge either way. They usually tend to worsen/enlarge with pushing to urinate or have a bowel movement but this is not 100%.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there something I can do? Will sitting in a warm bath help? What causes this?
If it is a hemorrhoid then a sitz bath (purchased at a pharmacy can help soother any irritation. As for the treatment itself there is no way to "cure" it without intervention. It is a vein that has enlarged like a varicose vein in the leg. It is usually from constipation or pressure from above with poor veins (not uncommon).
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am not sure if I am explaining this problem correctly. The swelling is in the top muscular part of my inner thigh just below the croch area. When I walk it feels like there is something between my thighs. There is no pain.

From what you are saying I still think it may be a hemorrhoid. Although these occur around the anus they can be large enough to feel this way. Because of the atypical presentation and the fact that what you are describing does not fit a diagnosis completely I would have a dr check to be sure. There is no need to treat hemorrhoids unless they bother you. You may have them for a long time and never have pain. Increase the fiber in your diet to prevent constipation and worsening over time.
drknowsbest, Doctor
Experience: DO board certified family practitioner spec. in womens health