A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

what can I use to clear up ear conal it is pluged. my doc.

Customer Question

what can I use to clear up ear conal it is pluged. my doc. wonts me to see ear nose doc. but I wont to see if there is a home reamady first    p.s.sorry about the bad spelling.I hope you understand me.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. You have already tried all the home remedies and routine general medical care that is availabe for your ears, and an ENT doctor is the next logical step. You may have scarring that your primary provider is concerned about, or it may be a cholesteatoma. In any event, the only course left at this point is to see the specialist.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
idont accept, I told you that is what my doc. said not new INfo dont wont to pay for what I already told u.sorry

That's fine, but unless the ear canal is just plugged with cerumen (ear wax) there is NOTHING left to try and you need to see the specialist for any further treatment. Cholesteatomas and scarring can be treated, but not at home. Those are problems for a specialist only.

If the problem is just wax, here is a novel way to help remove it, contributed by one of my valued colleagues. I know it sounds odd, but the over-the-counter stool softener Colace Liquid is very effective at ear wax removal. You might need the help of a friend or relative to do this. Pour enough in your ear to fill it, then plug with a Colace-wet piece of cotton. Leave in for 15 minutes to 24 hours (the longer it's in, the more complete the ear wax dissolution--overnight may suffice). After the wait, remove the cotton, and rinse out with slightly-warm water. Repeat as needed.