Dr Bhumika
Dr Bhumika, Doctor
Experience:  6 years of experience as family physician, general practitioner; MD Chest Diseases; Allergy, Asthma

Severe itchy throat causing coughing, nausea and vomiting

I have a severe itchy throat causing coughing, nausea & vomiting; especially at night.

What is your age?

Since when are you having the symptoms?

Do you have any nasal symptoms?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I am 66.

Symptom since February 2009 (4 months)

No nasal symptoms

Do you have reflux or heartburn symptoms?

Are you on any medications?

Do you have hypertension?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No I do not think I have reflux as I do not get heartburn.

I am on Metaformin for diabetes and a blood pressure tablet (low dose) and a low dose anti-depressant.

Could you tell me the name of the blood pressure medication and since when are you on it?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Ramipril 1.25 mg

I have only been on it for about 6 weeks but my symptoms have been with me for 4 months. It starts with a very bad itching/choking sensation in the throat, at random times - not warning, making me cough and cough. But the cough doesn't reach the area where the itching/tickle starts. Sometimes I cough so bad I retch and even throw up. It all seems to come from the throat area. I have been under the doctor for quite sometime now and he has tested me with an inhaler and reflux pills. I am now waiting for a hospital appointment with a consultant to get a camera down my throat/esophagus but I am having to wait 4 weeks.

This could be suggestive of a lower respiratory tract infection, allergic cough, even asthma or bronchitis. You need an x-ray as this has been present for some time now.
Your hypertension medication - ramipril will increase your symptoms - you need to ask your doctor to prescribe a different drug as medications of this class are notorious in causing dry cough and symptoms similar to what you say - so although it might not be the cause - it would definitely increase your symptoms.
Use saline nasal drops several times daily . You would need saline nasal drops and steroid nasal sprays too.
Try warm saline gargles or steam inhalation - your symptoms which could be due to the sinusitis would resolve with this.
Take an oral anti reflux medication - it is known to help in case of reflux which could complicate an already existing sore throat. Oral pain relief medications would help too.
You should dink plenty of fluids preferably luke warm water, warm saline gargles and steam inhalation would help. Try some over the counter lozenges - especially those with dextromethorphan. Try some cough syrups - with mucolytics to bring out the mucus and not to suppress the cough.
Avoid tea, caffeine, alcohol and smoking. This would help with your symptoms.
You would probably need a course of antibiotics, if your symptoms persist.
Let me know if I can help you further.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have also had a chest x-ray which was normal.

Then of course a bronchoscopy is the next step - till you get to it - try the above - you will get symptomatic relief.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you. You have been very helpful.

Glad to be of help.