Vivek Pillai
Vivek Pillai, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, M.D.( GENERAL MEDICINE).
15063316

My whole body seems to feel achy. I feel stiffness/tightness

My whole body seems to feel achy. I feel stiffness/tightness in my back/legs/arms. I feel sharp pains in my mid/lower back sometimes. My neck feels like it's in knots. I feel like I get sharp pains in various parts of my body. I feel tired, but not sleepy tired. I have had numerous blood tests, urinalysis, MRI of spine...all fine. I got a professional massage, and my husband massages me the best he can every night. It does not hurt to the touch anywhere. I was even tested for fibro. The only health problems I have are TMJ and gastritis/small ulcer. I had a baby 12/15/08 by C-section. The pains seem to wax and wane throughout the day. Today, my neck is killing me. I did have a particularly stressful day yesterday. Could it be from a vitamin deficiency....magnesium or vitamin d? Any advise?
Category: Health
Expert:  Vivek Pillai replied 5 years ago.
<p>hi, ma'am... the symptoms seem to be suggestive of fibromyalgia... which is diagnose d if you have more than 11 tender points on your body( means areas of pain), also you mentioned TMJ problems which could be an accompaniment....the other disease i could think of is polymyalgia rheumatica which causes predominantly shoulder girdle and hip pain... but your ESR would generally be elevated....vitamin d deficiency would cause osteomalacia in adults and generally the muscle problems are restricted to getting up from a squatting posture, so i am not suspecting that, magnesium deficiency would be very rare unless you are chronic alcoholic / renal failure patient or using a class of drugs known as diuretics....</p><p> of course the balance of probabilty shifts to fibromyalgia as a diagnosis,.</p><p>if you are satisfied with my reply, kindly press the ACCEPT button so that i may get credit for my work... feel free to ask any queries.</p>
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My chiropractor tested me for fibromyalgia...only had a few tender points. Could it still be fibro? What is used to treat fibro? Is this something that comes and goes? I seem to remember feeling this way after the birth of my first son 4 years ago, and now again after the birth of my second son. It eventually went away.
<p>hi, ma'am..</p><p>   actually you need to have 11 of 18 tender points to diagnose fibromyalgia....or widespread pain... the areas are - the back of the head, neck, buttock, shoulder, ribs, elbow, knee and thigh( i did not give the exact anatomic terms to avoid confusion).... fibromyalgia is of course not a dangerous disease , but it requires treatment... the first step would be to get proper sleep ....drugs like amitryptline 10- 50 mg at bedtime would restore proper sleep , but they have side effects like dryness of mouth....presently there is a drug known as lyrica which seems have great efficacy in fibromyalgia... it is license d for the treatment of fibromyalgia...</p>
Vivek Pillai, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S, M.D.( GENERAL MEDICINE).
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did get tested for fibro, but my dr. said it wasn't that because I didn't have the 11 tender points. Could it just be all over muscle tension from when i get stressed or maybe anxiety from after childbirth?