drknowsbest, Doctor
Experience:  DO board certified family practitioner spec. in womens health

What does a neurologist look for when examining a patients

What does a neurologist look for when examining a patient's eyes
Hello Customer!
The eye muscles which allow the orbit to move in all directions are controlled by cranial nerves which can then be evaluated this way. Pupillary reaction is also a neurologic reaction. This can be tested by using the light and also a reaction called accomodation which is examined while watching the opposite pupil's reaction when shining a light into the other side can all be tested by examining the eyes. Peripheral vision can also be examined to test visual field "holes" and eyelid function can also give more info on the cranial nerves.
Hope this helps!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Why was he so concerned with my right eye, as opposed to my left eye. Also, he didn't explain to me what he had seen that concerned him. I just need the information, so that I am educated enough to know or have an idea more clearly what he was looking for
If he was looking deep into the eye (specifically the pupil) he may have been trying to view any sign of increased pressure or abnormal blood vessels on the retina. This is difficult to view without dilating the pupil first which is why he may have taken so long. I would hope if he was not able to see completely or thought there was something he viewed that was abnormal he would have had you follow with an ophthalmologist.
These are not necessarily neurological problems but part of a thorough exam.