Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.
12501846

I have a lump in the bottom of my ear lobe just above where

I have a lump in the bottom of my ear lobe just above where i put my earing in, its quite painfull if prodded, what could this be and should I seemy doctor?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 7 years ago.
The way you are describing your problem, it seems like the lump on your ear lobe is infected and causing swelling & pain in local area. It could be infected cyst or boils/abscess. These are benign condition and can be managed at home, you can keep the area clean and use antiseptic solution for cleaning. You can apply neosporin locally to treat infection. Use of warm tube/hot compresses and pain meds are helpful for symptomatic relief. If things does not work, you will have to visit your doctor for proper evaluation. Do not try to pop it off, let it drain on it's own.