Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Experienced Family Physician

My body aches a lot all over. I feel stiffness and tightness

My body aches a lot all over. I feel stiffness and tightness in my back mostly as well as my legs and arms. There is one point on my back that I can press and it aches up and down my back. I've done all blood tests possible including kidney, urinalysis, MRI of spine...all were ok. My chiropractor even did a fibro test...ok. I was diagnosed with mild hypothyroidism and just started the Cytomel about a week ago. I also have non hpylori gastritis with a small ulcer diagosed through endoscopy. This came about after childbirth 12/15. My question is what could all this stiffness/tightness and aching be coming from? I was taking Prilosec and Zantac for the gastritis but just recently stopped as I read that it causes muscle pains. Could this be the problem? I've been off for 5 days and still ache. Any opinions appreciated. Thanks.
Category: Health
Expert:  Robert Fernando replied 7 years ago.

The symptoms you are having can be due to hyhothyroidism,fatigue,deprssion,weight gain. Other common causes are: stress,anxiety,depression. And yes,many of your symptoms can be due to side effects of zantac.

So the most probable cause seems to be are:stress,anxiety,depression or due to side effects of zantac. Its good that you had stopped it.

Now consult your doctor for the change/replacement of this medication.

Hope this helped.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
how long before the Zantac could be out of my system? I'm sure it's a mix of the thyroid and Zantac and stress...

Ranitidine is excreted principally in urine via glomerular filtration and tubular secretion. The majority of urinary excretion of ranitidine occurs within the first 6 hours after administration. Most likely this is due to mix of thyroid ,zantac and stress.