Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

The right half of my tongue is swollen to approximately twice

The right half of my tongue is swollen to approximately twice the size of left side. The left side feels normal. I do not know why.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 7 years ago.
This usually occurs due to an allergic reaction.

This can cause tongue swelling which might be felt more on one side.

You should check out whether you have started any new medications. It could be also due to some new foods that you took, specially foods like nuts, some new types of meat, fish, etc. You could be having a food allergy.

If you find anything which could have caused the allergy, you should try to avoid it. However, quite as often, no definite cause of such allergic reactions can be found, you should not worry if this is so.

Meanwhile you can take Cap. Benadryl (OTC) 1 cap. daily, this will help.

However, if it persists or there is any increase of swelling, then you need to approach your doctor for this. Tongue swelling can sometimes be dangerous, and if you have any feeling of difficulty in swallowing or breathing, you should go immediately to the ER.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.