Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

I have a recurring rash that is mainly on and around my elbows

I have a recurring rash that is mainly on and around my elbows and on my calves and ankles. The spots look somewhat like chicken pox, or insect bites. I went to a dermatologist that said she had never seen anything like it. She had a biopsy performed and it came back with the results of an alergic reaction to a bite.   She also prescribed an oitment that has never really helped that much and to take Zantac along with the cingular that I already take once a day. I can't believe that these are insect bites. This happens all through the year, but somewhat randomly. Sometimes the spots last for months before they finally disappear. My husband does not get these spots. My house is clean, we have an exterminator come several times a year. I just feel like it is something else. Maybe a vitamin difficiency or something? I'm 54 years old, female, in pretty good health otherwise. I'm overweight but not horribly. I do take Premarin .675, nexium, and cingular.

Since how long? Does the rash contain blister or fluid? Any other symptom? Any past illness? Which ointment was given?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sometimes some of the spots will develope a little blister, if I've scratched at it, but not always and not all of the bumps. The bumps are very small but if I get in the sun too much they burn and get a little bit larger. But no big clear blisters.
No serious illnesses. and the ointment I really can't remember...I think it started like Flo...and it said 5% on it...I still have it at home. I'm in my office right now.
Thank you for the input.

Your symptoms sounds like an allergy. It is most probably allergic dermatitis or atopic dermatitis. When your husband is not having any lesion & you are keeping the house clean it may not be due to insect bites.You need to get it reviewed by doctor. Antihistamines like benadryl or otc steroid creams like hydrocortisone can be helpful till you see the doctor.

Hope this information will help you.
Wish your early recovery.
Any query, please ask.