Dr Wu
Dr Wu, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board certified family physician, extensive experience in adult medicine, specalizes in geriatrics.

Since then he has had a brain scan

my husband saw a doctor at the hospital two weeks ago. Since then he has had a brain scan. Does the fact that he had the scan within two weeks mean that the doctor suspects something is wrong
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Wu replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for submitting your question. As a doctor, I can tell you that if I am highly concerned about a serious brain disorder(e.g. stroke, bleeding in the brain), I would send the patient for a head CT right the way(within the day). The fact that your husband's doctor chose to schedule a head CT in 2 weeks means that he doesn't think the situation is urgent, and his level of suspicion is not very high.

2 weeks is a standard period of time to obtain a routine head CT. Depending on your husband's symptoms, his doctor most likely wants to rule out brain diseases to be thorough.

I understand you are concerned about the result of the scan. Your husband can request a copy of the head CT result from the radiology department. Result should be available within 2-3 days of the test.

I hope this answers your question.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my husband didn't have a ct scan it was an MRI is there a difference
Expert:  Dr Wu replied 7 years ago.

My answer would still be the same- very urgent cases would require a brain MRI within 24 hours, not 2 weeks. An MRI is a better test than a CT. It is able to visualize the entire brain including the brainstem, which is located near the bottom of the skull.

It sounds like you are very worried. You should request a copy of the report, or call his doctor's office.